This project will transform a blighted public parking lot located at the corner of Manhattan Avenue and 14th Street into a multiple-benefit demonstration project that can be used as a template for other parking lots in the City and neighboring cities. Project is in final engineering design with completion scheduled by Fall 2020. View site plans (September 2018)
Project elements include:
- ADA upgrades for site accessibility and parking
- Bicycle parking
- Charging stations for plug-in electric vehicles and neighborhood electric vehicles
- Covered trash and grease enclosure
- Multi-space parking meters
- Landscaping - California-friendly and low water use
- Parking space improvements
- Safety lighting based on crime prevention through environmental design principles.
- Seating, trash receptacles, and pet waste station on Manhattan Avenue
- Storm water and dry weather runoff capture and reuse via a permeable paver system, bioswales, water storage, harvesting and reuse for on-site irrigation.
This project (CIP #682) is funded in part by METRO Surface Transportation Program local return funds (STP) with remaining funds from the city's Capital Improvement Program.
Public Meetings & Approvals
- August 22, 2018 - onsite community outreach event
- May 22, 2018 - City Council - Staff Report 18-0345 - Review the Preliminary Design Report for Parking Lot D
- March 27, 2018 - City Council - Staff Report 18-0213 - Authorization to Apply for Grant Funds from the California Climate Investments Urban Greening Program for the Parking Lot D Demonstration Project