- General Information: (310) 318-0214
- After Hours / Urgent Requests: (310) 524-2750
- Address: 1315 Valley Drive, Basement Level, Hermosa Beach, CA 90254
- Office Hours: Monday to Thursday, 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Permit Counter Hours: Monday to Thursday 7 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- Public Works Inspection Requests: please submit via the Go Hermosa! app
The Public Works Department Administration and Engineering Division is based at City Hall and is responsible for engineering and oversight of the City's Capital Improvement Program, public counter services including plan check and permit issuance, inspection of construction in the public right of way, contracts and work order management, GIS services, grant management, special event coordination and other services. Staff also supports the City's Public Works Commission.
Public Works maintenance crews based at the City Yard (555 6th Street) maintain City buildings and properties, the City's vehicle fleet, parks and medians, the sanitary sewer system, storm drains, street lights, streets/sidewalks, traffic signage, traffic signals and traffic striping. Staff also oversees janitorial, landscaping, steam cleaning, street sweeping and other contractor work with focus on City facilities, parks/medians and the Downtown including Pier Plaza and parking facilities.
- Approved Tree List / tree inventory
- Capital Improvement Program (CIP) - project management & construction
- City building and facility maintenance, janitorial services and graffiti removal -
Contract management architectural & engineering design, custodial & landscaping, construction, elevator maintenance, sewer system maintenance & main replacements, street/sidewalk repair, storm drain and other public works related services.
- Please visit the City's bids and proposals page for open Public Works bids, Requests For Proposals (RFPs) and requirements for projects subject to prevailing wage (including contractor registration with the California State Department of Industrial Relations). Contractors selected by the City coming onto City property will be required to obtain a City business license and comply with insurance requirements. Please refer to the City's bid documents for additional details and requirements.
- Disabled parking space installations. Please see Guidelines For Requesting A Disabled Parking Space .
- Downtown Business Area contract management - steam cleaning, street sweeping, trash & porter service, tree maintenance
- Establishment of annual landscaping & street lighting district assessments and sewer service charges included on property tax bills
- Mapping & GIS Services - see City maps | Street Sweeping Map & Schedule
- Memorial Donation Program - Greenbelt park benches, stones & trees
- The Memorial Donation Program has been placed on hold while policies and procedures are reviewed.
- National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) program administration
- Parks & medians maintenance -
- Right of way / encroachment permits - including issuance of curb, driveway, Pier Plaza outdoor dining, sewer lateral, sidewalk, street cut, utility, wireless communication facilities permits and others
- Sidewalk vending
- Plans - City systems:
- Precise development plan review
- Public Works Commission - staffing & liaison services
- Public Works inspections - for permitted construction and encroachments in the public right of way -
- Sewer system maintenance - property owners are responsible for the sewer lateral from their property to the sewer main. The sewer lateral must be replaced if damaged or in poor condition (Public Works permit is required for repair and replacement) -
- Special event support
- Stormwater system maintenance -
- Street lighting repairs -
- Street & sidewalk paving and maintenance including City furniture / equipment installations -
- Traffic signage, signals and striping -
- Utilities and CalTrans coordination
- Vehicle fleet maintenance