Hermosa Beach Police Department - Law Enforcement Code of Ethics
As an Officer, my fundamental duty is to serve mankind, to safeguard lives and property, to protect the innocent against deception, the weak against oppression or intimidation, and the peaceful against violence or disorder, and to respect the constitutional rights of all people to life, equality and justice.
I will keep my private life unsullied as an example to all, maintain courageous calm in the face of danger, scorn, or ridicule, develop self-restraint, and be constantly mindful of the welfare of others. Honest in thought and deed in both my personal and official life, I will be exemplary in obeying the laws of the land and the regulations of my department. Whatever I see or hear of a confidential nature or that is confided in me in my official capacity will be kept ever secret unless revelation is necessary in the performance of my duty.
I will never act officiously or permit personal feelings, prejudices, animosities, or friendships to influence my decisions. With no compromise for crime and with relentless prosecution of criminals, I will enforce the law courteously and appropriately without fear of favor, malice or ill will, never employing unnecessary force or violence and never accepting gratuities.
I recognize the badge of my office as a symbol of public faith and I accept it as a public trust to be held so long as I am true to the ethics of the police service. I will constantly strive to achieve these objectives and ideals, dedicating myself before God to my chosen profession...
- We the members of the Hermosa Beach Police Department are proud to serve our Community.
- We are determined to keep this Community safe and a friendly environment for everyone.
- We believe in maintaining public peace and in promoting order through fair and impartial decisions and respectful enforcement of the law.
- We have been entrusted to defend the public's safety and we are committed to providing this Community the highest caliber of professional service.
- We believe in proactively removing criminal offenders from this Community and in protecting all from any harm.
- We believe in prompt and efficient service and in the core values of honesty, integrity, and compassion in the performance of our duties.