Trash, Recycling and Organic Waste Disposal
The City of Hermosa Beach established a franchise agreement with Athens Services to provide residential and commercial solid waste management services, including trash disposal and recycling, effective July 1, 2013; and is now implementing an organic waste disposal program to comply with State disposal and diversion requirements as authorized by the City Council on September 10, 2019.
- Starting / stopping service - trash, recycling and organic waste disposal.
- Bulky item pickups including e-waste for residential customers - schedule by calling (855) 557-1007 or visit their website to complete a Request Services form.
- Cart/bin sizes and pickup frequency options.
- Collection map, schedules (including holiday schedule) and cart placement details.
- Compost / worm bins at reasonable cost.
- Holiday tree recycling.
- What and what does not go in each container - landfill (black), recycling (blue) & organics (green) - prohibited materials include hazardous waste, e-waste, medical waste and construction/demolition debris.
Contract and Rate Information
- Current Rates - Athens Services Rate Sheet - November 1, 2019 to June 30, 2020
- Organic Waste Recycling Program Adoption - September 10, 2019 - view staff report
- Annual Rate Adjustment - May 14, 2019 - view staff report
- Annual Rate Adjustment and Contract Amendment - September 17,2018 - view staff report
- Annual Rate Adjustment - September 27, 2016 - view staff report
- Approval of Agreement with Arakelian Enterprises (Athens Services) to provide integrated solid waste management services from July 2013 to June 2021 with a City option to extend the contract for up to two additional years - March 26, 2013 - view staff report
Mandatory Organics Recycling Program
Per State of California mandate (AB 1826), businesses and multi-family residential dwellings with 5 or more units must have an organics (green waste) recycling program in place by:
- January 1, 2019 - generators of 4 or more cubic yards of solid waste per week
- Summer/Fall 2021 - generators of 2 or more cubic yards of solid waste per week, if statewide disposal of organic waste is not decreased by 50%
Organics are defined by the State as food waste, green waste, landscape/pruning waste, non-hazardous food waste and food soiled paper waste mixed in with food waste.
How to Comply:
Athens Services offers a green cart or bin program to help businesses and residential customers divert organic waste from landfill to a composting facility. Other options:
- Donate the generated organic waste (food rescue)
- Recycle organic waste onsite through composting or self-haul for organics recycling
By using a green cart or bin for organic waste, you may be able to reduce the size of your black landfill cart or bin and save on disposal costs.
RESIDENTIAL ORGANICS RECYCLING SERVICE
Organics recycling service (green waste and certain food wastes) for residential customers is coming in Spring 2020. More information to follow soon.
Hazardous Waste Disposal Options
S.A.F.E. Collection Centers - (800) 773-2489
Local drop-off centers for residential waste are operated by the Los Angeles City Sanitation District (view S.A.F.E website):
- Harbor Area S.A.F.E. Center - 1440 N. Gaffey Street, San Pedro, CA 90731 - Saturday & Sunday - 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Hyperion S.A.F.E. Center - 7660 West Imperial Highway, Gate B, Playa del Rey, CA 90293 - Saturday & Sunday - 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
UCLA S.A.F.E. Center - 550 Charles E. Young Drive West, Los Angeles, CA 90095 - Thursday, Friday & Saturday - 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Accepted items (S.A.F.E. - Solvents, Automotive, Flammables, Electronics):
- Batteries - car and household
- E-waste - computers, cell phones, televisions, etc.
- Fluorescent tubes and bulbs
- Household cleaning products
- Medicines except controlled substances
- Paints and solvents
- Sharps - needles and lancets - home-generated
- Used motor oil and filters
Items not accepted:
- Business / commercial wastes
- Bulky items - furniture, appliances, etc.
- Marine flares / firecrackers
- Medical / biological wastes
- Radioactive materials
LACSD also offers periodic mobile collection events for items such as used oil, paint, electronics and household hazardous waste. Please visit the LACSD website for details.
Los Angeles County Department of Public Works
L.A. County Public Works offers periodic free household hazardous waste collection events at various locations for Los Angeles County residents - please visit www.cleanla.com for upcoming events. Limit of 15 gallons or 125 pounds of hazardous waste per trip - no business waste accepted.
Other Disposal Options
- Harry's Jaguar Service, 505 Pacific Coast Highway (310) 318-1292
- For more information on use oil recycling, please visit www.calrecycle.ca.gov/UsedOil
Small Business Hazardous Waste Disposal
State and federal laws require that all businesses that generate or accumulate hazardous and/or universal wastes to comply with regulations for proper disposal of these wastes, generally by private hazardous waste disposal contractors. LA Sanitation offers fee-based hazardous waste disposal at S.A.F.E. centers by appointment for certain small businesses under the Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator (CESQG) Program (must meet certain criteria and not generate more than 220 pounds or 27 gallons of hazardous waste per month).