Updated 11.21.19 - A brief recap of the November 18, 2019 City Council meeting is provided below:
- City Council – Justin Massey and Michael Detoy (5-year terms) - oaths of office administered by City Clerk Elaine Doerfling
- City Treasurer – Karen Nowicki (5-year term)
- Measure H – approved increasing the City’s Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) from 12% to 14%
- Measure CC – approved making the City Clerk an appointed instead of elected position
Recognition of Outgoing City Councilmember Jeff Duclos and City Clerk Elaine Doerfling – Councilmember Jeff Duclos (2009-2013 & 2015-2019) and City Clerk Elaine Doerfling (1989-2019) received commendations and plaques from Representative Ted Lieu, Assemblymember Al Muratsuchi, State Senator Ben Allen, Los Angeles County Supervisor Janice Hahn, Manhattan Beach Mayor Pro Tem Richard Montgomery, Redondo Beach Mayor Bill Brand, Lomita City Councilmember Mark Waronek and the City Council. Councilmember Duclos received several notable parting mementos including a 2000 block Ava Avenue street sign (Public Works), a Los Angeles County Fire Department engraved axe, musical carousel & photo album (City Manager), challenge coin/ballcap/t-shirt (Police), and framed Pier Plaza photo (Beach Cities Health District).
- Valley Park Restrooms – delivery of new partitions has been delayed, but renovations are expected to be completed this week.
Consent Ordinance: Single Use Plastic and Polystyrene Products Ban Expansion – Council adopted Ordinance 19-1398 to amend Hermosa Beach Municipal Code Chapters 8.64 and 1.10 to expand restrictions on certain single use plastics (stirrers, straws and utensils), balloons, and polystyrene/Styrofoam products effective on or about June 2020 and make violations subject to administrative penalties.
Consent Ordinance: 2019 California Building Standards Code Adoption – Council adopted Ordinance 19-1400 to amend Title 15 of the Hermosa Beach Municipal Code to adopt the 2019 Edition of the California Building Standards Code (CBSC).
Public Hearing: 2020 Impact Level III Special Event Approvals - Council approved the following schedule of special events:
- USA Volleyball Collegiate Beach Championships – May 4-10, 2020
- AAU Southern Pacific Summer Series (volleyball) – May 31, June 30 & August 7-9, 2020
- Hermosa Beach Triathlon – June 12-14, 2020
- AAU Junior National Beach Volleyball Championships – July 6-11, 2020
- JVA and BVCA National Beach Championships (volleyball) – July 11-16, 2020
- Hermosa Beach Open and AVP First National Championship (volleyball) – July 17-29, 2020
- CBVA Summer Tournaments (volleyball) – August 1-2 & 22, 2020
Council also designated June 26-28 and August 28-30, 2020 as “Nothing Weekends”. Impact Level III special event fee revenue is estimated at $106,520 excluding police costs.
Public Hearing: No-Fault Eviction Moratorium Urgency Ordinance – Council adopted Urgency Ordinance 19-1399 prohibiting no-fault evictions in Hermosa Beach through December 31, 2019 for applicable residential real properties built prior to January 1, 2005. The ordinance is effective immediately and will protect renters from no-fault evictions related to the October 2019 passage of AB 1482, which will place a statewide cap on rent increases and provide additional tenant protections effective January 1, 2020.
Coastal Zone Parking Assessment & Recommendations – Council continued this item to the December 17, 2019 meeting.
Skechers Sanitary Sewer Construction Management Contract Award – Council approved an agreement with Onward Engineering not to exceed $150,000 to provide construction management and inspection services for installation of a new sanitary sewer within 30th Street, Pacific Coast Highway and Longfellow Avenue as part of the Skechers design center and executive offices development project located at 2901 and 3001 Pacific Coast Highway. Costs will be reimbursed to the City per agreement with Skechers.
Sewer Maintenance Hole Frames and Covers – Council approved a $250,000 appropriation to Sewer Improvement Phase 2 CIP 416 for replacement of up to 50 maintenance hole frames and covers displaying the City seal.
254 29th Street Disabled Parking Space – Council approved installation of an on-street disabled parking space adjacent to 254 29th Street per resident request.
- South Park Community Garden – Council directed staff to return with a future agenda item to consider dedicating the South Park Community Garden in Councilmember Jeff Duclos’ name in recognition of his leading voice and strong advocacy for a permanent community garden in Hermosa Beach in coordination with the Parks and Recreation Commission.
- Subcommittee / Delegate Updates – Mayor Pro Tem Campbell reported on attendance at the November 14, 2019 Hawthorne Airport noise workshop and provided a noise study binder to staff.Mayor Armato reported on LAX Roundtable attendance; a “Fly Quieter” airline incentive/recognition program is in development for 2020 by Los Angeles World Airports (LAWA). Council may send a letter to the FAA requesting release of a LAX noise study; and noise monitors have been requested for Hermosa Beach and Manhattan Beach (pends federal approval). Councilmember Massey advised he voted in favor of the South Bay Cities Council of Government’s advanced broadband project.
- Tentative Future Agenda Items – Council consideration of the City’s Municipal Lease Policy is now tentatively scheduled for January 14, 2020 instead of December 17, 2019.
AN ADJOURNED REGULAR CITY COUNCIL MEETING WILL TAKE PLACE AT 6 P.M. ON THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 21, 2019 AND WILL INCLUDE A MAYOR TRANSITION CEREMONY AND COUNCIL COMMITTEE REORGANIZATION.
AN ADJOURNED REGULAR CITY COUNCIL MEETING WILL TAKE PLACE AT 6 P.M. ON WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 4, 2019 FOR A STUDY SESSION COVERING EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT TRAINING (NO MEETING ON TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 26, 2019).
THE NEXT REGULAR CITY COUNCIL MEETING WILL TAKE PLACE AT 7 P.M. ON TUESDAY, DECEMBER 17, 2019 (NO MEETING ON TUESDAY, DECEMBER 10, 2019).
Questions or comments? Contact the Assistant to the City Manager Nico De Anda-Scaia
Monday through Thursday, 7AM - 6PM at (310) 318-0201 or via e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org
To download previous City Council Meeting Recaps, please click on the links below (.pdf format):
- City Council Meeting Recap: 11.12.19
- City Council Meeting Recap: 10.22.19
- City Council Meeting Recap: 10.10.19
- City Council Meeting Recap: 9.24.19
- City Council Meeting Recap: 9.10.19
- City Council Meeting Recap: 8.27.19
- City Council Meeting Recap: 7.23.19
- City Council Meeting Recap: 7.09.19
- City Council Meeting Recap: 6.11.19
- City Council Meeting Recap: 5.28.19
- City Council Meeting Recap: 5.14.19
- City Council Meeting Recap: 4.23.19
- City Council Meeting Recap: 4.09.19
- City Council Meeting Recap: 3.26.19
- City Council Meeting Recap: 3.12.19
- City Council Meeting Recap: 2.26.19
- City Council Meeting Recap: 2.12.19
- City Council Meeting Recap: 1.22.19
- City Council Meeting Recap: 1.15.19
- City Council Meeting Recap: 1.08.19