The Community Resources Department oversees the use of seven City-owned tennis court facilities including six courts located at the Community Center, 710 Pier Avenue, and one located at the Kelly Court complex. The Community Center tennis courts are used extensively for Contract Classes, drop-in play, and reservations by Hermosa Beach residents and pre-approved private instructors. For more information on the tennis court located at the Kelly Court complex, please visit www.hermosabeach.gov/pickleball.
Current Court Operation Information
The Community Center Tennis Courts will re-open Thursday, May 21, 2020. Please see below for more information on current court use policies.
Community Center Tennis Courts Use Policy*
*PLEASE SEE BELOW FOR TEMPORARY MODIFICATIONS TO THE COMMUNITY CENTER TENNIS COURTS USE POLICY DUE TO COVID-19 PRECAUTIONARY MEASURES
The City of Hermosa Beach is taking additional precautions to reduce the risk of spreading the novel coronavirus (COVID-19). Therefore, the Community Center Tennis Court Use Policy has the following adjustments for the foreseeable future:
- Community Center Tennis Courts hours of operation have been reduced to 8:00am-6:00pm daily.
- All participants must check in with the staff member on duty to sign-in prior to entering the court.
- Only singles play will be permitted. Doubles play is prohibited.
- Reservations can be made for one to two hours maximum per day. A maximum of one-hour play is allowed on heavy traffic days as determined by Staff.
- Tennis Membership Applications must be submitted electronically and e-mailed to email@example.com. Please note that office hours are Monday-Thursday from 7:00am-6:00pm. Applications received outside of office hours will be processed on the following business day.
- Pre-approved private instructors are permitted to teach no more than two (2) students at a time and must maintain proper physical distancing techniques at all times.
Additional restrictions include:
- Physical distancing of six (6) feet must be maintained at all times.
- Participants are required to wear face coverings at all times except during game play. Face masks are required to be worn by both the student and instructor during private lessons.
- Doors, entrances, and/or gates must remain open during operational hours.
- Minors must always be accompanied by a parent/guardian.
- Participant’s waiting for a court must remain outside of the fence and are encouraged to stay in their vehicles until the court becomes available.
- No spectators allowed. Only those actively playing on the courts and signed in are allowed to be on the courts.
- No handshakes, paddle bumps or physical contact between participants.
- Each participant must bring their own tennis balls with their initials on each ball.
- Participants must bring water and hand sanitizer or disinfecting wipes to wash and sanitize hands frequently.
- Participants are encouraged to place their personal items (bags, water bottles, etc.) at least 6-feet away from other participants’ items to avoid surface contact.
- Use of coaching equipment such as target cones should be limited and only handled by the private instructor.
Tennis Membership Program
Tennis Memberships are available to Hermosa Beach residents and pre-approved private instructors to allow for reservation of the Community Center Tennis Courts. Without a membership, courts are available on a first, come-first served basis.
For more information about the Tennis Courts and the Tennis Membership Program, please call the Community Resources Department during office hours: Monday-Thursday 7:00am-6:00pm at (310) 318-0280.