Presidential Primary Election
California will hold an election for president of the United States on November 3, 2020, along with 49 other states and the District of Columbia. The Democratic and Republican parties will hold primary elections in California on March 3, 2020.
Measure FD - Los Angeles County Fire District 911 Firefighter/Paramedic Emergency Response
- Los Angeles County Fire District 911 Firefighter / Paramedic Emergency Response Measure FD (would enact a $0.06 per square foot parcel tax if at least 2/3 of voters approve - view Los Angeles County Fire Department webpage).
- On December 3, 2019, the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors approved placing Measure FD on the March 3, 2020 ballot:
"Shall an ordinance ensuring local firefighter/paramedic emergency response, involving house fires, wildfires, heart attacks, strokes, and car accidents, to hire/train firefighter/paramedics, upgrade/replace aging firefighter safety equipment, vehicles, facilities, life-saving rescue tools, and emergency communications technology, by levying $0.06 per sq ft for certain improved parcels, providing $134 million annually, limited to 2% annual adjustment, until ended by voters, exempting low-income seniors, with independent citizens oversight, be adopted?"
- Previously, on October 10, 2019, the City Council approved Hermosa Beach to opt in to the Los Angeles County Fire Department's parcel tax ballot measure (view staff report) to provide additional funding for Fire Department personnel, equipment, vehicles and systems. All funds raised would remain within Hermosa Beach as a credit toward the City's annual Los Angeles County Fire Department invoice for fire services and Fire Station 100 (540 Pier Avenue) renovations.
Register to vote at www.lavote.net by February 18, 2020.
In L.A. County, we have upgraded from polling places to Vote Centers. Voters now have the option to cast a ballot in-person at any Vote Center in the County. Vote Centers look and feel like polling places, but provide additional modern features to make voting easy and convenient. Voting centers will additionally switch from a one-day polling location to a 4-day or 11-day voting center.
Vote Centers in Hermosa Beach
- Clark Building -861 Valley Drive (11 day - Feb 22 through March 3)
- Kiwanis Club - 2515 Valley Drive (4 day - Feb 29 through March 3)
- St Cross Episcopal Church - 1818 Monterey Blvd (11 day - Feb 22 through March 3)
- Find another convenient Voting Center in Los Angeles County at LAVote.net
Future Election Schedule:
- Tuesday, November 3, 2020 - Presidential election - federal jurisdiction
- Tuesday, November 8, 2022 - 3 City Council seats - City jurisdiction
In order to encourage greater voter turnout and reduce City election costs, the City is in process of transitioning from "odd" year general municipal elections to "even" years to consolidate with statewide general elections conducted by the County of Los Angeles by November 2022. Per City Council action taken on November 22, 2016, City officials elected during the November 2017 and 2019 elections will have extended five-year terms. Starting in November 2022, the City will return to four-year terms for elected officials.