City Facts - Hermosa Beach
- Area covered - 1.43 square miles
- Assessed valuation of the City - $7.5 billion
- Average rainfall - 12.1 inches per year
- Average temperature - summer - 74 degrees / winter - 55 degrees
- Average water temperature - 60 degrees (summer - 68 degrees / winter - 50 degrees)
- Beach - 1.8 miles of frontage; 36.5 acres total
- Bus lines:
- Churches - six
- City budget - General Fund operating expenditures $40.0 million, capital improvements $20.1 million - Fiscal Year 2019-20
- City date of incorporation - January 14, 1907
- Elevation - 0 to 200 feet above sea level
- Fire Department - serviced by the Los Angeles County Fire Department since December 30, 2017 based out of Fire Station 100 at 540 Pier Avenue (temporary station on the 1100 block of Bard Street until January 2020)
- Form of government - Council-City Manager
- Hermosa Pier - 1,228 feet long with year round fishing
- Hotels/motels - six and one youth hostel
- Housing units - 10,026 (55.3% renter occupied, 44.7% owner occupied)
- Library - Hermosa Library - Los Angeles County branch library
- Location - 17 miles southwest of Los Angeles on southern end of Santa Monica Bay
- Median age - 39.5
- Median home value - $1,650,000
- Median household income - $124,849 as of 2018 (source: Southern California Association of Governments)
- Parking meters - 1,558
- Parks - twenty including the 19.5 acre Hermosa Greenbelt
- Police - 38 sworn personnel, 58 total positions
- Population estimate - 19,847 as of 1/1/19 (source: California Department of Finance); 19,506 per 2010 U.S. Census.
- School enrollment (public) - 1,361 (2017-18)
- Hermosa Beach City School District - two public elementary and middle schools: Hermosa View (K-3) and Hermosa Valley (grades 4-8) with North School elementary under pending construction.
- High schools - serviced by two out-of-city schools in Redondo Beach (Redondo Union) and Manhattan Beach (Mira Costa).
- Private schools - Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic school (pre-school to grade 8) and Fusion Academy (middle and high school students).
- Sanitary sewers - 40.4 miles
- State & regional elected officials and districts - click here
- Storm drains - 2.2 miles
- Street lights - 400 City-owned, 904 utility-owned
- Streets - 40 miles
The first official survey was made in the year 1901 for the board walk on the Strand, Hermosa Avenue and Santa Fe Avenue; work on these projects commenced soon after. The boardwalk on the Strand was constructed of planks. The walk extended the entire length of the two-mile Strand. High tides sometimes washed away portions of this walkway. In 1914 part of it was replaced with cement. The remaining two thousand feet on the north end was finally completed with cement in 1926.
In 1904 the first pier was built. It was constructed entirely of wood even to the pilings and it extended five hundred feet out into the ocean. The pier was constructed by the Hermosa Beach Land and Water Company. In 1913 this old pier was partly washed away and later torn down and a new one built to replace it.
The first city election for city officers was held December 24, 1906. The town incorporated and its charter was obtained from the state on January 14, 1907. At this time the City acquired ownership of its two mile stretch of ocean frontage. This was included in an original deed to the City from the Hermosa Beach Land and Water Company, but did not include the two hundred and ten feet on each side of the pier. The deed stated that it was to be held in perpetuity as a beach playground, free from commerce, and for the benefit of not only the residents of Hermosa, but also for the sea lovers of Southern California. Hermosa Beach’s original ideals are still reflected along the Strand and beach with ample public space for bike riding and beach play.
For more on the City's history, visit the Hermosa Beach Historical Society at the Community Center (710 Pier Avenue) or online.
City of Hermosa Beach Seal, Mr. and Mrs. John T. Hales, 1964.
The current City seal was designed by Mr. and Mrs. John T. Hales and adopted by the City Council on May 5, 1964. The new seal was developed through a community competition in conjunction with the dedication of City Hall in 1965.
According to a Historical Society newsletter, Hales designed the seal in 1964 to "...reflect the town's year-round sunny environment, its recreational orientation and its Spanish land-grant past. The circa 1848 cattle brand depicted on the seal is that of Antonio Ignacio Avila, who held the grant to Rancho Redondo, on which Hermosa Beach now sits," states the newsletter. A description of the elements of the seal is provided below.
- The Cattle Brand...the earliest historical symbol of the land occupied by the City of Hermosa Beach. The Brand was registered to Antonio Ignacio Avila, August 22, 1848 (ref. Brand and Counterbrands, Book 1, Los Angeles County). Avila secured the grant to Rancho Redondo, patented March 22, 1875, adjacent to the northwest boundary of Rancho San Pedro.
- The Racket, Bat and Ball...symbols of three popular sport and recreational activities in Hermosa Beach...tennis, baseball and lawn bowling.
- The House...typifies the residential home...predominant among all building types in the City.
- The Three Scalloped Lines...represents the immediate proximity of Hermosa Beach to the Pacific Ocean and the broad expanse of beach to bring recognition to the City as the "Aristocrat of California Beaches."
- The Monogram "Hb"...interweaves the activities of the shore, history, recreation and residents to be united into the City.
- The Year 1907...a remembrance of January 14, 1907, the day the City received its Charter of Incorporation from the State of California and to the memory of its early city fathers.
- The Radiating Perimeter...signifies the role that sunshine plays to promote year-round health and recreation enjoyed by all Hermosans.