Special Event Mission Statement
Hermosa Beach strives to offer a safe and enjoyable environment for special events to take place in a way that balances resident and visitor needs. Special events in Hermosa Beach are celebrated for being community-friendly, enhancing local beach culture, and offering a myriad of benefits to the local community. The City of Hermosa Beach works collaboratively with event operators in an efficient and clear manner to process and carry out permits in compliance with this policy.
The Parks, Recreation and Community Resources Advisory Commission, along with City staff and the Special Events Subcommittee have created a Special Event Policy Guide, which serves as a one-stop-shop for all details, policies, and procedures on holding an event in the City of Hermosa Beach in public spaces (beach, parks, etc.) and the public right of way.
- Save the pdf version of the Special Event Application to your computer’s desktop. Please be sure to use the desired year's application before applying.
- Open http://www.pdfescape.com/windows/ in your web browser and select the “Free Online” option.
- Select “Upload PDF to PDFescape” and choose the saved Special Event Application from your desktop.
- After the file uploads, the saved Special Event Application should be displayed.
- Each page of the document is displayed to your left.
- To navigate from each page, click on the left display and add your information using the edit options available under the “Insert” tab (upper left hand corner).
- PLEASE NOTE: You can click on “More” to get a checkmark/”x”.
- Once all areas of the Special Event Application is completed, save the document by selecting the green down-arrow button on the left side of your screen.
- PLEASE NOTE: Your completed document will automatically begin to download and will be saved in your computer’s folder of downloaded items or it will appear in the bottom left hand corner of your screen for you to open and save in any folder you select.
- Please e-mail your saved PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Special Event Fee Waiver Grant Policy
On October 10, 2019, the City Council approved a new fee waiver grant policy (view staff report)--key items include:
- The Parks, Recreation and Community Resources Advisory Commission may grant fee waivers for 50% of applicable special event fees up to $2,500 per event ($250 minimum award) starting in 2020.
- Direct costs including application, staff time, inspection and Police/Fire service fees may not be waived.
- Council set the total amount of fee waivers available per calendar year at $20,000 (reviewable annually).
- The policy does not apply to events with long-term agreements with the City--contact the Community Resources Department at (310) 318-0280 for additional details.
- No fee waivers will be granted for peak season events occurring between Memorial Day and Labor Day.
- No additional waivers will be granted for 2019 events.
- Grantees will be required to provide a post-event report and presentation to the Parks & Recreation Commission.
Pier Plaza Promotions
Pier Plaza Promotions are designed to provide companies and event sponsors an opportunity to use Pier Plaza for a one-day promotional opportunity. The daily use is $11,292.